- 1 lb brown rice pasta (I prefer Tinkyada)
- 3 T. vegan butter (such as Earth Balance Natural Buttery Spread)
- 2 T. gluten-free flour (garbanzo, quinoa, or brown rice flours work well)
- 1 tsp. salt (I prefer Himalayan Salt)
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
- 3 cups unsweetened flaxseed milk
- 12 ounces shredded dairy-free cheddar cheese (such as Daiya)
- 1 T. olive oil or grapeseed oil
- 2 T. gluten-free bread crumbs (optional), such as Gillians Gluten-Free Italian Bread Crumbs
- 2 T. nutritional yeast
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Cook pasta according to package instructions and drain.
Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan, melt butter. Whisk in flour, salt and pepper. Add milk slowly. Cook and stir until thick and bubbly. Add shredded cheese; stir until melted.
Grease a 9” x 13” ovenproof casserole dish with 1 T. olive oil or grapeseed oil. Mix pasta and cheese sauce together in dish. Add 2 T. of nutritional yeast, mixing in gently. Sprinkle with bread crumbs (optional), and bake for 15 minutes or until heated through and bread crumbs are browned.
This recipe is very versatile. You can keep it simple, or use your creativity to add a wide range of ingredients. I love to add turkey sausage, ground turkey (though these of course aren't vegan), and finely sliced (chiffonade) Swiss chard, spinach, parsley, or (for those who love a little heat) chopped and seeded serrano or poblano pepper - just another way to get your greens in without the family even noticing! Nutritional yeast is completely vegan, high in B vitamins, and will add a cheesy/parmesan taste to any dish.
From my table to yours - enjoy!