Simple Summer Slaw
20 mins 6 servings
Cabbage is a delicious and great natural source of phytonutrients and vitamins A, C and K. As a cruciferous vegetable, it’s also sky-high in glucosinolates, a specific type of phytonutrients which have proven anti-cancer and anti-inflammatory benefits. Cabbage is naturally low in calories and high in fiber – there’s nothing not to like!
Gluten-free, dairy-free, vegan
- 2 cups white cabbage, shredded
- 2 cups purple cabbage, shredded
- 1 cup Brussels sprouts, shaved
- 1 cup carrots, sliced
- 1/2 leek, sliced into “matchstick” strips (white only)
- 1 daikon radish, diced
- 1/2 cup cilantro, chopped
- Dressing - 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- Dressing - 1/4 cup dairy-free mayonnaise (I use Vegenaise)
- Dressing - 1 tsp. Grey Poupon mustard
- Dressing - 2 T. tahini
In a large mixing bowl, combine cabbages, Brussels sprouts, carrots, leek and daikon radish. Mix well and set aside.
In a mixing bowl, combine vinegar, mayonnaise, mustard and tahini. Whisk together.
Add salt and pepper to your personal taste.
Pour over coleslaw salad and mix well.
Top with cilantro.
You can add or remove ingredients to your liking. Some suggestions are adding shaved fennel, zucchini, parsley and/or watercress. Top your slaw with sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, sesame seeds or your personal favorites - as always, feel free to get creative.
From my table to yours - enjoy!
Leave a Reply